[image source="https://carbonetix.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/smart-meter.jpg" align="right"]Whilst CarbonetiX are big believers in the adage ”You can’t save what you don’t measure”, most energy monitoring devices in themselves cannot reduce consumption.
Real time energy data from smart meters has the power to help people identify ways to save on wasted energy but people must also be willing to implement these changes. It is for this reason that data is so mixed when it comes to the success of smart meter rollouts.
Which is why we at CarbonetiX love it when success stories such as the following surface:
CenterPoint Energy of Texas installed 500 smart meters with instantaneous feedback and in-home displays in area homes. The results are nothing short of remarkable. Here are a few stats for you:[bulletlist]
- 71% of customers changed their energy use behaviour based on the results of data on their in-home displays,
- 83% of respondents reported turning off lights when not in the room or not in use,
- 51% of respondents reported adjusting the temperature on their thermostat,
- 93% of respondents reported they are satisfied with the in-home display,
- 97% of respondents reported they will keep using it.[/bulletlist]
This is a perfect demonstration of the power of quantifying and demystifying energy consumption – not to mention a great advertisement for smart meters.