The Colac Otway Shire Council is located approximately two hours to the south west of Melbourne. Prior to the initiation of the solar feasibility study, Council had worked with CarbonetiX for energy audits on some of their highest energy consuming sites. These audits identified a number of potential energy efficiency projects defining potential financial and environmental benefits.
The Colac Otway Shire Council engaged CarbonetiX to undertake a Solar photo-voltaic (PV) system feasibility study and a subsequent solar PV technical specification at two of Council’s largest energy consuming sites: the adjoined Customer Service Centre and Colac Otway Performing Arts & Cultural Centre (CSC/COPACC), and the Bluewater Fitness Centre (BWFC).
The feasibility study supported a strong business case with the technical specification used as part of the tender evaluation process to stipulate minimum performance.
- Establish an annual baseline of electricity consumption and demand at each site
- Determine the optimal sizing of solar systems up to 100 kW
- Determine the technical and financial feasibility of installing solar PV systems
- Write a technical specification for each system to support a tender evaluation
- Council administered an open tender to seek competitive pricing for the design and construct of solar PV systems at each site
- A robust evaluation was completed by Council with feedback from a third-party consultant
- A contractor was appointed for the design and construct of the 100 kW system at the CSC/ COPACC site
- The project was procured within 20% of the estimated capital cost
- The Council are planning to implement solar at the BWFC site on completion of the sites redevelopment
Working with CarbonetiX, we have been able to identify opportunities to reduce Council’s greenhouse emissions, and have since implemented a 100 kW solar PV project. CarbonetiX were professional and easy to work with. I would highly recommend the team at CarbonetiX to anyone looking to investigate practical alternatives for installing solar PV at their facility. Dora Novak, Environmental Sustainability Office, Colac Otway Shire Council